Followers

About

My photo
I'm a children's author. Animals are a constant source of writing material for me. They are also my heart!

For the Love of Ivy

>> Friday, July 8, 2011


This is Ivy. I named her myself. Ivy deserved a name. She showed up at the barn where I board my horses in early spring. Someone probably dumped her there. Ivy wasn't like the other barn cats. She was sweet, gentle, and friendly. From the very beginning it was clear that Ivy liked people more than hunting. Her loud purring resonated around the horse-filled stalls. By late spring it was obvious that Ivy was pregnant. A kitten having kittens, I thought to myself. Ivy isn't more than eight months old herself. As sad as I was I turned a blind eye. I already have three dogs and as most of you know, we kept our last foster...an 18-month-old-145 pound Newfoundland.
About a week ago, Ivy disappeared. Everyone assumed she had gone off to have her kittens somewhere. We were wrong. She returned still pregnant and dragging her right back leg behind her.
I couldn't leave her at the barn. I just couldn't. I took Ivy home with me and put her in a large crate in my office. My husband wasn't happy and neither were my three dogs. On Tuesday I took Ivy to my vet, Dr. Kelli French. She took x-rays and came back with the bad news. "Ivy's femur is so badly broken she is going to need to have her leg amputated," Dr. French told me. I asked if there were other options and Dr. French told me yes, but surgery to put in pins and plates would cost thousands of dollars. "Cats do very
well on three legs," she told me.
Dr. French sent me home with Ivy. "Let her have her kittens. In five weeks, we'll take off her leg and she'll be ab
le to walk and stand so much better." I took Ivy home.
Normally I can handle my rescues on my own. This time I can't. I need help. The surgery to amputate Ivy's leg is going to cost around $800 dollars. Dr. French has set up a fund at Beechwold Vet Hospital for Ivy. If you can help me, please send a check to Beechwold Vet Hospital, C/O Dr. Kelli French 4590 Indianola Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43214. Put "For Ivy Mader's surgery" in the memo line. Ivy and I will be eternally grateful. Also, if you could share this post through a link on your blog that would help too. Animal people help animal people.
Ivy delivered her four beautiful kittens on Tuesday night - shattered femur and all. When Ivy is well and her kittens are weaned I'll find wonderful homes for all of them. For now, that's the least of my problems.

15 comments:

CATachresis July 8, 2011 at 5:03 AM  

I will post this on my blog, Jan x

Peggy Frezon July 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

I'll help spread the word. Sweet Ivy, what a beautiful kitty. What a hard life already. I'm so glad you are taking care of her and her family. I hope she's not in too much pain until the leg can be operated on. Her kittens are beautiful.

Joanie July 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM  

Jan forgot to mention that you need to write "for Ivy Mader surgery" in the memo line of your check to Beechwold Veterinary Clinic.

I was with Jan & Ivy at the vet's and when the kittens were born. As the vet said, this is a special cat. She's very sweet and people-oriented and stayed friendly and calm even when the vet was poking and prodding her. She was such a trouper giving birth, even as the new kittens wiggled all over her broken leg.

Paula July 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM  

I am over from Caro'sCat. I wont be able to send a lot, but I will post it on my blog and facebook.

Tweedles -- that's me July 9, 2011 at 12:03 AM  

I will help spread the word too.
Poor Ivy,, I cannot get her out of my mind
love
tweedles

Mary Beth July 12, 2011 at 10:58 AM  

Maggie and I will be seeing Dr. French Wednesday. We'll pass along something for Ivy.

Sandy July 12, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

Wow Jan $800.00 yikes. Is there logic in selling the kittens to help offset your expense for the surgery?

White Dog Blog July 12, 2011 at 3:18 PM  

You do wonderful things. The White Dog Army believes Ivy deserves our support, we are sending a check.

Asta July 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

This is heawtbweaking and so touching.
You awe a sweet and wondewful hooman to help Ivy and all the othews that you have ovew the yeaws.
We awe soopew bwoke, but I will tell my fwiends and will see what I can send to help.
in the meantime I send my healing smoochie kisses to that little giwl
love
Asta and Mommi

ellen July 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM  

Does the vet take PayPal?

Lacy July 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM  

was thinking the same thing, is there a paypal account set up??

b safe,
rocky

Asta July 15, 2011 at 12:30 AM  

Hi I''ve been thinking of you and little Ivy and was wondewing if you couldn't st up a pay pal account. I think people awe mowe likely to donate when it's easiew fow them and Pay pal makes it soopew easy.
I hope this helps a little
love and bestest wishes and smoochie kisses to all of you
ASTA

Oskar July 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

Oh how lucky that Ivy found you. We will be sending pawerful prayers to you & Ivy & her kittens to be.

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

Cassy August 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM  

Hi adorable Ivy... you look so cute and clean.

Cassy from Electric Guitar Online Lessons

Anonymous June 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM  

http://eekshop.com
In going to be the search risks and side effects page all your family members not only can they schedule an appointment with lot of links that not only can they talk to your all your family members to understand more about a multi function site during which time your family can be able to get a make sure they know an all in one friend movie script It is usually that the do nothing more than be an all in one simple matter concerning even if you are and searching and then for the movie script and copying a resource box to learn more about your intended on the internet and page.

We'd Love to See Who You Are - We Know You're Adorable for Sure!

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP