Followers

About

My photo
I'm a children's author. Animals are a constant source of writing material for me. They are also my heart!

What a Boy That Tango of Mine!

>> Sunday, July 26, 2009

After a long fun weekend at the horse show, Tango and I are home. I'm going to tell you all about it when I get my pictures downloaded, but I'll give you a quick summary now.

Friday night was a practice night. Tango was full of energy and great fun to ride. He wanted to explore the whole fairground, so explore we did! There were 200 entries in this show so Tango made lots of new friends - people, dogs, and horses.

Saturday was challenging. It rained (more accurately poured) off and on all day. Tango and I showed in two huge classes and placed 6th in both. I was thrilled because I hadn't planned on placing at all. Just as I was ready to dismount (after my last class) it started to pour rain again. Good old Tango remembered his herd mentality and turned his back towards the storm. I think he thought he was benefiting us both!

Today was sunny and awesome. I showed Tango in two more classes. We came in 3rd in our first class and the judge offered some really good advice on my comment sheet.

"He needs more impulsion at the walk and trot," she said. "Don't hold back."

We had about forty minutes between classes so I had a little time to think about what to do. I decided to go for it since it was our last class of the show. I know Tango likes to move and I decided to just lean back and ride. "If he breaks into a canter when he's not supposed to, at least we'll have tried to follow the judge's advice," I thought to myself.

We had the same judge for the next class. Tango and I made adjustments. After what seemed like forever to get our scores, they were finally posted. Tango and I came in 1st place with a score of 70! If you know dressage, you know that's a really good score.

I'm still smiling. Tango got home and rolled in the mud. I'm positive it was a victory roll!

Maybe I'll come down off cloud nine tomorrow. Maybe not. What a great boy Tango is!

I really do have more to tell you about this special horse show. It benefited more than just Tango pony and me. Stay tuned!

10 comments:

Ziggy Stardust July 26, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

Yahoo for Tango!! Run around, run around...kick my back feet for Tango.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Seriously, you deserve to be on cloud nine, that is so cool. Way to go!
Anne

Tweedles -- that's me July 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

Oh how fun was that, for both of you! I am sure Tango is just as excited about it as you are! I bet he is out in the barn telling the barn cats and anyone else who is listening about it! I would love to hear his story too.
So, keep talking. I am going to plop myself down here and listen to you tell it over,, and over,,, and over.
Stay on cloud 9,after all, it's a good place to be.
love
tweedles

GalleryJuana July 27, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

This was fun to follow along with Tango's progress through each class. How exciting to go from 6th place to 1st place in one day! Congratulations to both of you.

Anonymous July 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

Way to go! Your dedication and passion are remarkable. And Tango is an amazing boy!

Tweedles -- that's me July 28, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

The trees were just buzzing this morning from bird chatter. Tango must have had some big party going on in that barn last night. The sky was full of birds this morning. They were flying up from the South. Every bird is talking about Tango and his ribbons. It was a hoe down in that barn!
xoxox
tweedles

Sandy July 28, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Way to go! Sorry you had to put up with such nasty weather. Look forward to more stories and pictures of accomplishments.

Speaking of acccomplishments, how many horse shows has Tango been in? And when horses learn these patterns needed for dressage; how do they do that? I know we people have muscle memory, is it similar for a horse? Curious.

Congrats to you both.

Sandy

Jan Mader July 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

Horses should never learn the patterns..the rider has to ride the horse every step of the way. Our bodies, seat, legs, and gentle hands tell the horse what to do and where to go...if we're lucky!

Tango's been in lots of horse shows, but we only started showing dressage this past September.

If I rode the same pattern every single time, Tango would remember. That's why there are different classes and tests. I don't practice the patterns at home...just pieces of the patterns...that way Tango doesn't anticipate what's happening next.

Hope that answers your questions!

bbes tribe July 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Enjoyed your post. Tango & you make quite a pair. Our Mom has always enjoyed watching dressage. Thanks for the info about the patterns. Makes a lot of sense.
;) Ernie & Sasha

Melinda July 28, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Congratulations!! Stay right where you are on that cloud!!!

Can NOT wait for the pictures and more of the story....Please hurry!

Paula July 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog. We are having a very rough time with my sweet baby girl and every time we think it is going to be ok the vet tells us she is not sure. I am hopeful that things will work out. I will not let her suffer. She is my little baby as we call her. She is pure joy and light from heaven. Thank you.

We'd Love to See Who You Are - We Know You're Adorable for Sure!

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP